As the competition in the book market increases with time, the importance of a book cover also increases. There are hundreds and thousands of new books that are being launched in the market every day. With the increasing number of these books, what is the most important factor that makes a customer pick a book from the bookshelf? No doubt, it is the cover of a book. We all have observed it that whenever we go to a bookstore to buy a book, we are automatically drawn towards the books that have good and catchy covers.
From a marketer’s perspective, a great book cover makes the book easier to sell and that is why publishers these days focus more on the quality of the book covers.
A cover is basically the face of a book. As our face can reflect our inner feelings, similarly a book cover can also reflect what is inside that book. Book covers play the role of introducing the book to the potential readers. For example, if the cover is mostly dark colored with shadows and owls, it shows that the story inside the book must be scary and if the cover is having soft images and sweet words, it shows the book is likely to be a love story.
Some publishers also believe that there is a direct relationship between a good cover and good sales of that book. If a book has a well-designed and attractive cover, it will attract customers more. On the other hand, if a book has a bad cover with badly formatted text or low-quality pictures, then the potential customer will not be attracted towards the book. When the reader sees a book with a great cover, he thinks positively about the book but if the book cover is poorly designed with little or no editing that makes it look cheap. The customers are more likely to notice the mistakes in the book cover and they perceive the inside tale will be cheap too.
Some of the qualities of a good book cover are:
- A good and attractive title/ subtitle should be used.
- It must draw the potential reader’s attention towards the book.
- It should communicate with the reader on an emotional level.
- It must be unique. All books are different from each other, similarly, every book cover should also be unique to make it different from other covers.
- It should look professional.
- It should clearly give an idea of the category of the book whether it is a horror story or a love story etc.
- It should communicate the message about the quality of the book. There is a huge difference between the covers of different qualities of books.
- It should tell the reader about the tone of the book, fiction, non-fiction, biography etc.