The World Packaging Organisation (WPO) aims to make the society educated about the significance of packaging. It considers packaging as a vital tool by teaching the people, companies, and government bodies in a constructive way.
Since packaging is used anywhere, a good packaging is a very essential tool for the safety and well-being of the people and for the success of businesses. Today’s society cannot thrive without packaging because it communicates, preserves, protects, and transports basic goods. However, distribution becomes more complicated nowadays because of the increasing population, and there’s a huge possibility that packaging poses various problems. Overpackaging consumes too much natural and human resources but underpackaging provides item damage and spoilage, which lead to wastes that end up in landfills, incinerators, on the sides of the roads, seas, and waterways. Perhaps that is why other nations consider minimizing and eliminating packaging because of lack of understanding about what it has brought to them. When in fact packaging offers great resource-saving opportunities. So having the right size and right strength of packaging should be practiced by everyone, and WPO educates its members in the packaging community including those who belong in nonprofit organizations, for-profit commercial ventures, and educational groups with regard to packaging application, development, reuse, recycling, and recovery.
Aside from educating the society about packaging, there are principles on how packaging can support to have a sustainable community and how it can be practically applied.
- The packaging design should be holistic to maximize compatibility with internal and external surroundings that the item comes in contact with.
- Packaging materials should be sourced in a responsible way.
- The product and package should not only meet the needs of the consumers, but it should also be competitively priced.
- The manufacturing methods and processes should be environmentally clean and should use a safe machinery.
- Once the main purpose is satisfied, the packaging material should be easy to recover.
- Renewable energy and other resources should be used for manufacturing and distribution.
In order to inform the public about what to do with used packaging materials, the packaging organization motivates and educates the public to:
- Understand the role of packaging and how it can make a more sustainable community.
- Come up with ways to perform a well-organized recycling program.
- Provide feedback and suggestions to manufacturers about making a packaging that benefits the society.
WPO is a packaging leader and has a vital role in addressing issues about total packaging cost and value as well as in informing the public about effectively and efficiently using packaging that meets the needs of the people. To support in making the society more sustainable, WPO hopes to promote:
- A positive economic, environmental, and social impact of packaging.
- A decrease of negative environmental impact of packaging in the environment.
- The development of packaging engineering, sciences and technology.
- Communication about packaging applications and technology.
- The betterment of packaging expertise and skills.
- Education about state-of-the-art packaging for national and international organisations.
- Development of international trade.